Monday, November 5, 2007

Christmas is coming, time for the BGE!

Got to get the Big Green Egg! Got one for father's day. Damn thing rules! Haven't had a failure yet! The BGE is kind of a hybrid between a charcoal grill, a smoker, and an oven. There is really nothing you can't cook on this thing. Unlike any grill or smoker I have ever attempted to use, this thing uses little charcoal and the temperature control is amazing. For example, I cooked a couple of chickens on Sunday (see below). All I did was light the thing, throw on a cup of soaked mesquite chips and played with the temperature for about 5 minutes and left the chikens to cook. I didn't do a thing to the beer-can chicken, for the other I flipped off the breast side after about an hour and 15 minutes. I used a temperature probe in the thigh set at 175 degrees. Total cooking time was about an 1 hour and 40 minutes. The BGE stayed between 300 and 325 degrees and I didn't have to do a thing!
"Beer-can chicken"

Regular Trussed chicken cooked in BGE

I've eaten 4 bbq chicken sandwiches since then and will likely eat another tomorrow...you got to get one!
JW

No comments: