Thursday, April 9, 2009

Oyster "Roast"

Good times! First, let me apologize for the quality of this photo...I guess that's what happens when you take pictures with your phone in the dark. Mr. Brown hopefully will post more on this event later and discuss the fantastic steaming device found at the Oriental Market.

My job as usual was to provide the condiments (I'm the equivalent of a redneck saucier). I made a cocktails sauce from the Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook (great book that has upscale versions of Southern classics) that used tomatoes instead of ketchup and whose secret ingredient was orange zest. I also made a remoulade & a wasabi aioli. Typically I make the remoulade from scratch, but this time decided to simplify in the essence of time. I had read somewhere of using of all things, sweet pickle relish as a "secret" ingredient. So I tried that, and the remoulade was the most used condiment by far, and I had atleast 5 requests for the recipe. So here goes:

For 1 cup
1 cup Hellman's mayo
1 tsp capers
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves minced
1 T sweet pickle relish
1 T hot sauce (I use Crystal for cooking), add more to taste
Juice of a lemon
1 T minced parsley leaves
About 20 grinds of black pepper
Salt to taste (probably doesn't need any if the capers are salty)

To make: pulse everything in a food processor fitted with the blade until combined and creamy. This sauce is particularly good on po boys and pan-fried or blackened fish.

JW

No comments: