Monday, March 10, 2008

Gangsta grizill (ya dig?)




There's still snow on the ground here, and I wonder when spring will ever come. That said, I do have a deck that is missing a couple of key features. A new grill and/or smoker. The question is, what kind to get? I know some of the contributors to this blog have the big Green eggs and swear by them, others of you have gas grills and don't really make much comment one way or the other. We've all been to the local Grill store and seen some ridiculous multi-thousand dollar outdoor oven is nicer than the one I have inside. That's not really my purpose here. However, I do see the value in not skimping when it comes to stuff that you're going to use, especially stuff that's going to be cooking food for you and your family.
So if any of you had a couple thousand bucks to blow (which I really don't) on outdoor cooking appliances, how would you spend it? Would you get two grills? Would you Green egg and a gas grill? Would you even look at ceramic burners? I mean, come on, the weather is about to get warm, and we need to spend some time outside to get out of the house. We been cooped up now for a few months, where the average temperature seemed like it was 20°. I suspect that we'll have two weeks of spring, and then it will be 100° again, so we have to make the most of the good weather. Also, it's getting to be time for stuff like roasted leg of lamb, smoked pork, and you have to practice to get ready for things like Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, et cetera.
Admittedly, there are far worse problems to have been trying to figure out what kind of grill I should get. I've been looking at some of the websites online, and noticed that if you did go out and order a big Green egg, the warranty is void unless you buy it at a local dealer. Ouch, that's pretty harsh, although it is an interesting way of cutting down on Internet commerce killing the profit of the local distributor. But, all's fair in love and war, and that damn local distributor has been overcharging all of us for decades, so I'm not really sure where I stand.
Here are the choices. Big Green egg, what size? I have access to a reasonably new three burner propane stainless grill that somebody was going to give me. Is that big enough? Do I need a side burner? The infrared burners which I thought were powered by electricity actually are powered by propane as well, and I hate dealing with tanks. Should I have the gas company hooked me up to a direct feed? Does the Weber kettle grill have any value today? It's easy to use and portable, the relatively heat inefficient and compared to the egg. This is what I think about in the middle of the night while I'm sitting around waiting for work to come to me.

No comments: